Sunday, June 19, 2011

Homeschooling Q&A's, Part 4

I'm back with part 4!! If you haven't checked out Part 1 , 2, and 3, it would be a good idea to do so now. :) Same as with the others, if you have any questions, go ahead and leave them in the comments. :)


Extra Activities

1. Do you get to do any extra-curricular activities?

Yes, of course! I can sign up and participate in any kind of activities I'd like to try. There are homeschoolers in our group that take music lessons, ballet, gymnastics, horse-riding, soccer, swimming, tennis, bowling, art classes, karate, basketball, Awana, choir, musical theater, etc.


2. Could you do sports, music, etc. from a nearby school if you wanted to?

Again, this depends on where you live, but typically, yes. There are schools that offer classes, clubs, bands and sports teams to homeschoolers. Also, many towns have specialized homeschool bands, clubs, etc. In addition, there are tons of activities that homeschoolers participate in that are not usually offered at/through a school, such as pottery classes, Girl/Boy Scouts, choir, music lessons, etc.

3. Do you get to go to prom, etc. ?

Our homeschool group has a "Formal" at the end of the year, which is pretty much like a prom. :) Everyone gets all dressed up, it's usually themed, they serve dinner, and play games, dance, etc. I've never gone because I haven't really been interested in going before, or I had something else scheduled that day, but the option is available for anyone who wants to go. For towns that don't have homeschool groups, some public/private schools will allow homeschoolers to come with a friend. :)

4. Why would you want to miss out on the whole highschool experience?

What? You mean, driving back and forth to a big school building every day, sitting in a classroom, wasting time on "busy-work" papers, forcing myself to eat cafeteria food, etc? Or... something else? I feel like I'm getting a good highschool experience. I may not see my friends every single day, but I do talk to them, and see them often. I do schoolwork during the day, and I have extra things I do in the afternoons and evenings. I don't understand what I'm missing. ;)

About Socialization/ Friends

1. Do you have any friends?

Yes, of course!

2. Do you get any socialization?

Okay. Whenever someone asks me this question, I always want to say, "Well, if I'm talking to you, this is considered socializing. So YES!" :) But yes, I do get to socialize.

3.  How do you meet people?

I meet people in the same way any other teenager would. I meet people at classes for our homeschool group. I meet people at church. I meet people at gymnastics. I meet people at other activities and clubs. I meet people at camps.

4. How do you get socialized?

Well, I socialize at all the places that I've met people. If I'm at gym, I talk to my friends at gym. If I'm taking a class, I'll talk to the other kids in that class. And so on.


I'm not trapped in my house all the time,
like many seem to think. :)
 5. Do you ever leave your house?

Do I? To many homeschoolers, it seems like we're away from home more than we're at home (which isn't really true of course, it can just seem that way at times). Between co-ops (classes with other homeschoolers), ballet lessons, gymnastics practice, horse-riding, movie nights, art classes, etc. we get out of the house plenty. :)

6. How do you stand being around your parents/siblings all day?

How do I stand it? Well... I like it! :) I love my family, and I'm glad for the opportunity to be around them during the day. I know that if I went to public school, we probably wouldn't be as close as we are right now.

7. Do you ever get to see any other kids?

Of course! As mentioned, I see kids at all of my activities, at church, at co-ops, etc. I see kids my age every day. :)

8. Do you actually have a life?

Yes! I wonder what people are thinking of homeschoolers in general when I hear/see these questions. Just because we do our schoolwork at home, doesn't mean we're a different species! :) We do all the same kinds of activities that a public/private schooled teen might do. We have sleepovers, go to the mall, do sports, go to church, etc.

9. Isn't it boring not being able to see your friends everyday?

I don't think so. Even though I don't see my friends every day, I do get to see them at least a couple times a week, and I see different people on different days. On days when I have gymnastics practice, I get to see my friends from there, on days I have co-ops (classes with other homeschoolers), I see my homeschooled friends, and so on.

10. Do you ever wish you went to a public school?

Nope. I don't really see anything that I'm missing from not going to one, and I love being homeschooled, so no. I'm quite content. :]


[I found my pictures on Google Search, here, here and here. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment