Thursday, June 16, 2011

Homeschooling Q&A's, Part 3

Well, here we go, time for our 3rd set of questions. If you haven't read my first two posts, please do. :) You can find them here and here . As always, feel free to leave your questions in the comment box. :)

How Does it Work? Part 2.

1. Are you in the same room as your siblings? Are you all in the same grade?

Nope, and nope! :) Sometimes my sister and I will work in the same room, but not always. I usually work at the desk in my bedroom, or the desk in the office. She usually just stays in her bedroom. :) And no, we're not in the same grade. My older sister is already in college, my younger sister in in Jr. High, and I'm in High School. We're all in the same grade we would be in if we were in public school. :)

2. Do you get to listen to music/watch TV/etc. while doing school?

We are allowed to have our music on quietly as long as we're not being distracted by it, and we're doing our work. We are definitely not allowed to be watching TV while doing school. We pretty much just focus on school when we're doing school. Just because we're at home, doesn't mean we get to goof off. :)

3. Can your parents give you a bad grade?

Yup. We get whatever grade we earned. If that's an A, we get an A. If it's a F, we'll get an F. (Although, thankfully, I've never gotten an F!)

4. Do you get days off (Presidents Day, Columbus Day,etc.) ?

We usually won't take off those kinds of holidays. Unless we have something planned with our whole family that we are going to go do, we typically just do our schoolwork as usual. Although, I do know some homeschool families who always take off all the typical days the schools around us do. It depends on each family.

5. Do you have minimum days?

We don't. There's not really any point to them, for us. When we were little, sometimes we would take minimum days and then go to the Zoo or something, but now, we usually don't.

6. Do you have to take tests?

Yes. -_- We have to take tests in each of our subjects, just the same as you. Chapter tests, quizzes, finals... :) We take the bigger tests as well, like the SAT and ACT.

7. I've heard there are so many laws that make homeschooling hard. Is this true?

It depends a bit on where you live. Some states are pretty easy to homeschool in, and don't have that many laws for it. Some states actually have benefits for homeschooling! Other states have a TON of laws for homeschoolers, where you have to do a lot of extra tests, or turn in a ton of papers, or whatever extras they might make you do. It also depends on whether you file your own affidavit (stating that you are your own independent school), or whether you go through a charter/umbrella school. In some states, it is easier to go through a charter school. I have heard stories of people who have had troubles with colleges not wanting to accept their transcripts, or wondering if the grades were accurate. Usually a quick interview, or a more thorough list of classes, books,etc. will do the job. In short, it depends a lot on where you're homeschooling at, but there usually isn't too much trouble. :)

8.  How does your mom know everything that she is supposed to teach you?

Well, first off, she taught me how to walk, talk, feed myself, write my name, etc. So moms make pretty great teachers, it's an instinct. :) But to answer the question, sometimes my mom is not always the main teacher for a subject. Sometimes another parent from our church or homeschool group will teach a class. Some families have Dad step in for a subject that he is good at. Some things, like math, for example, we have all the lessons on a DVD taught by a regular math teacher. I am sitting in on his class. I will watch the lesson, and then do the assignments for each day. My mom will use the teacher guide to check them, and when I get something wrong, there are explanations in her teacher guide that we can use. So even if I'm doing something that Mom may not know, I can still learn it from someone else. :)

9. How can you get into a good college?

The same way someone from a public school can. My mom will create a transcript, like a public/private school would, listing all my classes, grades, credits, etc. Also, we take the SAT tests, and we can also take the ACT test, which give colleges a standard to compare students to. Some colleges have different admission procedures for homeschoolers. A transcript may be not needed at all, or optional. They may want certain test scores, or an interview. Some want letters of recommendation. Most colleges don't give homeschoolers a hard time, in fact, some colleges actually prefer homeschooled students! *


*I got my information and stats in this section from this article: http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000017.asp
Mostly from the section titled: "A Positive College Experience"


[I got my pictures from here and here. Again, I found them both in a Google Search.]

No comments:

Post a Comment