Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Homeschooling Q&A's, Part 2.

Well, hopefully you've read the first post and gotten through the basics. If not, go there now. :] This is my second set of questions. Again, if you have any more questions, just leave them in the comment box. :)

I don't think I explained the purpose of this series very well, so I will now. A lot of homeschoolers, at one point in time or another, get asked some pretty humorous questions about homeschooling. Sometimes we get asked the same questions over and over, so I'm making these for people who are genuinely curious about homeschooling. And of course, for homeschoolers, who I assume will just enjoy reading it. ;) And just as a disclaimer, I do not, obviously, speak for all homeschoolers! I speak based on my own experiences with my own family. :) If something is different for you, or if you had an opposite experience you'd like to share, feel free to leave it in the comment box.

How Does Homeschooling Work?

1. Do you get a Summer break?

Yes! My mom needs it just as much as we do. ;) But we're pretty much on the same schedule as most of the schools in our area. I do know a few homeschoolers that school year-round, but they take a lot of breaks during the typical school year, so it evens out.

2. Does a parent have to homeschool you or can it be a family friend?

It could be a family friend, if that was what worked best for your family. It's just most often that a parent does the job. :)

3.  Do you get distracted with computers and TVs around?

It can be easy to get distracted, especially by the computer (for me), but you have to be able to limit and control yourself. It's something that you learn. Sometimes it can very tempting to use it if it's sitting right next to you, so what I do is just move rooms. Out of sight, out of mind. :)

4. Do you just get to eat and do stuff whenever you want?

Not really. This is a bit vague, but I'll do my best. :) I don't get to eat whenever I want, per se. I have to ask before getting a snack or something like that, but usually, if I ask to get a quick snack, I'm allowed to. The key word with that is quick... we can't just lounge around in the kitchen, munching away. Get something small, eat it, and be done. And if you just had something 10 minutes ago, don't ask again. It's not gonna happen. :) As for doing stuff whenever, that's mostly a no. There are many, many times when I'd love to just stop working for a while and go take a walk, read a book, take a nap, go online... those kinds of things. It doesn't happen.

5. Do you get grades?

Yes, of course. Our mom (or whoever is teaching us) gives us grades just like a teacher in a public/private school would, evaluating the work, checking the answers in the answer key, adding up totals, etc.

6. Are you going to be homeschooled in college too?

Another question that makes me smile. No, I'm not going to be homeschooled in college. :) I've wondered if it was even possible before, but no, I'll be attending a regular college. :)

7. Do you get a diploma?

Yes! There are actually places where homeschoolers can buy diplomas from. Also, if you use a charter/umbrella school, many of those will provide a diploma.

8. Does your mom teach you and your siblings at the same time?

Yes and no. She teaches us at the same time of day (from 8-3, approximately), but not the same subjects, or at the exact same moment. For example, if I'm doing math, she might be doing spelling with my sister. If I'm doing science with mom, my sister might be doing her reading.

9. When you're sick, do you get a day off?

Depends on how sick we are! :) Usually, we at least try to get some schoolwork done. If we're sick with a fever and stuck in bed, we won't do much, maybe some reading, if that. If we're well enough to move around and think (haha), we just do as much as we can, and rest in between.

10. Do you still have snow days?

Well, it doesn't snow around here, so I asked my mom, "If it snowed here, would you give us snow days?" and she said that she wouldn't. Since we wouldn't have to go anywhere to do our schoolwork, we would be perfectly capable of staying at home and doing it. So no. :)


(I got my pictures here and here. I found them both in a Google search.)

2 comments:

  1. What?? I didn't know that it doesn't snow where you live! You poor, deprived child :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could sure go without snow! i live in WI and it snowed today!!!

    ReplyDelete